-   -   Master invoice number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/36829-master-invoice-number.html)

Christopher M.

Master invoice number

The following code updates an invoice number in a master invoice file, after
a separate invoice file (e.g. one invoice per customer) has been printed.
Having a master invoice number in a separate file enables multiple users to
print different invoices, while maintaining a chronological invoice number.
The value of this master invoice number can be linked to your Excel
worksheet.

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'cancel printing so we can print in this procedure, then do our own
after print
Cancel = True
'disable events so beforeprint isn't called again
Application.EnableEvents = False

With Sheet1
.PrintOut

' Open the source file
' for local drive
'Workbooks.Open ("C:\Documents and Settings\BaronVS\My
Documents\Weekly new Invoices\master invoice number.xls")
'for a network share
Workbooks.Open ("\\OFFICE1\SharedDocs\master invoice number.xls")

' change value (invoice number) _after_ printing
' instead of changing a cell we change the master invoice number
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(1).Range("A1").Value =
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(1).Range("A1").Value + 1

'Close the master invoice file
ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True

' To display the invoice number in your worksheet, link a cell to
the value in the 'master invoice number' file

End With

ErrorHandler:
' want to make sure we re-enable events if there's an error
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
"Don't eat soup! Soup makes you poop!"