-   -   How do I change phone numbers from "xxxxxxxxxx" to "xxx-xxx-xxxx (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/36800-how-do-i-change-phone-numbers-%22xxxxxxxxxx%22-%22xxx-xxx-xxxx.html)

Frank @ St. Louis

How do I change phone numbers from "xxxxxxxxxx" to "xxx-xxx-xxxx

I am combining three databases on Xcel. Total of 18,000 items/contacts.
Approximately 5,000 show a phone number of "xxxxxxxxxx" which will be
incompatable with the remaining items/contacts that have the phone number
listed as "xxx-xxx-xxxx". I like the latter format. How do I change the
list of 5,000 to "xxx-xxx-xxxx"? I have Excel 2002

Simple question, but I am stuck.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Anne Troy

Select the column, and hit Find/Replace (Ctrl+H). Type a hyphen in the Find
What box. Don't put anything in the Replace with box, and hit Replace all.
Now, all cells are xxxxxxxxxx. So format the column by Format--Cells, and
choose Special and choose phone number.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Frank @ St. Louis" <Frank @ St. wrote in