Walt

Changing case on mailing lists I receive in Excel 2003?

I receive monthly mailing lists from my local chamber of commerce and
magazines from which I advertise. The lists are in Excel format and are
always in all upper case. Before I can prepare the mailings, I have to retype
the addresses. Sometimes there can be over 500 on each list. Is there a way
to get Excel to do this for me? I've tried the Proper function, but it only
works one cell at a time and between the click/copy/paste that I have to do,
it is no improvement. Is there a way to replicate the Proper function across
the spreadsheet?

Ron de Bruin

Hi Walt

The best thing to do is use a macro

See this webpages

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm
Or
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm

Here are some Macro's for changing text cells in the selection

Sub Uppercase_macro()
Dim selectie As Range
Dim cel As Range
On Error Resume Next
Set selectie = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
If selectie Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each cel In selectie
cel.Value = UCase(cel.Value)
Next cel
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Sub Lowercase_macro()
Dim selectie As Range
Dim cel As Range
On Error Resume Next
Set selectie = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
If selectie Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each cel In selectie
cel.Value = LCase(cel.Value)
Next cel
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Sub Propercase_macro()
Dim selectie As Range
Dim cel As Range
On Error Resume Next
Set selectie = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
If selectie Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each cel In selectie
cel.Value = StrConv(cel.Value, vbProperCase)
Next cel
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl