Old August 7th 09, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I count items in a filtered list?

Yep I've got 2 worksheets linked to each other. How can I make a formula
works if the cells I need to calculate are linked to the first worksheet.
Hope do you get my point?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Your syntax is not correct.

You cannot have Total.xls and Monthly.xls in one workbook.

An *.xls is a single workbook.

Do you mean you have two worksheets named Total and Monthly in a workbook
named PM.xls

Is this latest problem you are posting in any way related to the original
posting about counting filtered items you and Biff have been working on?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:10:15 -0700, Antonella
wrote:

Hi I need your help..
I know that is not the right forum but I'll try anyway.
Hope you will understand what I’m trying to do.
I’ve got 2 worksheets called Total.xls Monthly.xls in a workbook called PM.
I’ve linked few cells from Monthly to Total (that’s was easy). Now all the
formula already in Total give Error as results.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Antonella

"T. Valko" wrote:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Antonella" wrote in message
Thanks.. You made my day!!!
Antonella

"T. Valko" wrote:

Is a data validation drop down list.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Netherlands"),--(B1:B10="July"))

Better to use cells to hold the criteria.

D1 = Netherlands
E1 = July

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=D1),--(B1:B100=E1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Antonella" wrote in message
Is a data validation drop down list. Can be the reason why does not
work?

"T. Valko" wrote:

In both columns data must be chosen
from a drop down menu

Is that a data validation drop down list (or maybe a combo box) or is
it
an
Auto Filter drop down?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Antonella" wrote in message

I'm hoping that someone can help me..
I am trying to count how many export has been done for each Region
for
July,
how many for August and so on.
I'll try to make myself a bit clear. For example:
My first column (A1:A100) contains 10 different Regions
(Netherlands,
Italy,
Spain etc). The second column (B1:B100) contains months ( July,
August,
September, October etc). I would like to know if there is formula to
count
how many times Netherlands July appears in those 2 columns.
In both columns data must be chosen from a drop down menu..
Hope I made myself clear.. Can this be done ?
Thanks
Antonella

"T. Valko" wrote:

This will "COUNTIF" B2:B100 = "A" in a filtered list:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B100,ROW(B2:B100)-ROW(B2),0,1)),--(B2:B100="A"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tommy" wrote in message
news do anybody know, how to use "countif" with filtered lists?

the function subtotal does not allow conditions (e.g. "name")
the function countif does it, but it count hidden cells, too

thank you for your ideas

"N Harkawat" wrote:

=subtotal(2,a1:a1000)

"Counting filtered data." <Counting filtered
wrote in message
I have an excel spread sheet table that I filter. I would like
be
able
count the number of cells in the filtered data. Anyone know
how
do
this?
CountA returns the number of cells in the unfiltered data.
Tom

Old August 8th 09, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Again I ask............are your calculations concerning what you and Biff
were discussing?

I have not follwed the thread so not sure what you're asking for.

But you can calculate using linked cells.

Say sheet1 has these linked cells in A1:A3

=Sheet2!G1
=Sheet2!H2
=Sheet2!D1

Enter =SUM(A1:A3) in any cell on sheet1

If not clear to you, post some examples of linked cells and what type of
calculating you need done.

Gord

wrote:

Hi I need your help..
I know that is not the right forum but I'll try anyway.
Hope you will understand what Im trying to do.
Ive got 2 worksheets called Total.xls Monthly.xls in a workbook called PM.
Ive linked few cells from Monthly to Total (thats was easy). Now all the
formula already in Total give Error as results.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Antonella

"T. Valko" wrote:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Antonella" wrote in message
Thanks.. You made my day!!!
Antonella

Old September 22nd 09, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me,

I am trying to count the number of individuals in two seperate columns on
the same spreadsheet based on values that are text and numbers, i.e. "in
column B1:B391 which are 'Con'" and "in column K1:K391 which have a value of
'1'".

i have tried the formula suggested below:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Netherlands"),--(B1:B10="July"))

adapting this to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B391="Con"),--(K1:K391="1"))

however this does not work.

Any help would be amazing

Many Thanks

Dominic

"N Harkawat" wrote:

=subtotal(2,a1:a1000)

"Counting filtered data." <Counting filtered
I have an excel spread sheet table that I filter. I would like to

Old September 22nd 09, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try removing the quotes from the second criteria...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B391="Con"),--(K1:K391=1))

--
Domenic
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old September 28th 09, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message
I have an excel spread sheet table that I filter. I would like to be
able
count the number of cells in the filtered data. Anyone know how to do
this?
CountA returns the number of cells in the unfiltered data.
Tom

The use of the "sumproduct" formula confuses me and how it's applied.

I have a report at work that lists a number of categories for multiple
people. With the use of the "countif" formula I'm able to identify the
quantity associated with each category for the entire group. However, I want
to filter down to a particular individual and have the quantities now only
apply to that individual. Is there a way to combine the "countif" and
"subtotal" formulas to make this happen?

Old November 9th 09, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It works for me, too! Thanks very much for your help!

Also one quick note for other people trying to count TRUE or FALSE values, I
had to remove the double quotes - apparently Excel see's them as special
values, even though it doesn't seem to convert them to numbers (the way a
database does).
This worked for counting the number of TRUE's in a filtered list:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B100,ROW(B2:B100)-ROW(B2),0,1)),--(B2:B100=TRUE))

Old November 9th 09, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

trying to count TRUE or FALSE values,
I had to remove the double quotes -
apparently Excel see's them as special values

TRUE and FALSE are special values in Excel. They're called Boolean values.
In Excel a Boolean TRUE and FALSE is different from a *text* entry of true
or false. If no special formatting has been applies a Boolean will appear in
the cell as all uppercase characters and centered in the cell.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP