-   -   Can I use excel to find y = f(x,z)? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/36129-can-i-use-excel-find-y-%3D-f-x-z.html)

Ane

Can I use excel to find y = f(x,z)?

Can I use excel to find y = f(x,z)? I have data for y1-y2 ,x1 -x12 and z1 -z12.

Thanks,
Anne

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

I don't understand what you are saying here. what doex x12/z12 stand for?.
It seems as though you are trying to find the solution for a formula whose
dependance is on x and z? Please provide a sample problem.

Thanks,

Derek

Ane wrote:
Can I use excel to find y = f(x,z)? I have data for y1-y2 ,x1 -x12 and z1 -z12.

Thanks,
Anne

sk

Excel will permit linear regression (least squares fit) for multiple
variables.
sk

Ane wrote:
Can I use excel to find y = f(x,z)? I have data for y1-y2 ,x1 -x12 and z1 -z12.

Thanks,
Anne

agarwaldvk

Anne

Your query could refer to two things :-

If you are referring to the distance between two points given their 3D
coordinates then yes you can do it like so :-

y (distance) = ((x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2)^0.5

If this is not what you are wanting to do and it is something close to
what Derek suggested then again you should be able to get the solution
for 'y' given the relationship between x and z - which you have not
explained. You may want to do that if you want better explanation on
this count.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

--