Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default function showing false result when it is not

Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Amy-Marie pretended :
Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

How do you know the zero is not the result of there being none of your
COUNTIF criteria?

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 30, 7:49*pm, GS wrote:
Amy-Marie pretended :

Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

How do you know the zero is not the result of there being none of your
COUNTIF criteria?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

There are loads of 1's, it is just not counting them. The elements of
the formula are for the right ranges as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Amy-Marie
What you have is an array formula.
You enter an array formula by pressing ctrl+shift+Enter instead of
just Enter. If you do it right; Excel will display an array formula surrounded
by curly braces in the Formula Bar. You cannot type the curly braces yourself.
If you make a mistake, select the cell, double click on it to go to Edit mode
or press F2 and edit as needed, then press ctrl+shift+Enter.
But I'm not sure that's what you want.
Your formula will count all the "1" if there is 1 "P".
If it's not what you want, explain it in detail.
"Amy-Marie" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 7:49 pm, GS wrote:
Amy-Marie pretended :

Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

How do you know the zero is not the result of there being none of your
COUNTIF criteria?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

There are loads of 1's, it is just not counting them. The elements of
the formula are for the right ranges as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi again
If your trying to count the (1's) matching the letter P on the same row then
maybe this is what you want.
=SUMPRODUCT(('Employee Details'!V4:V93="P",)*('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93=1))
Cimjet
"Amy-Marie" wrote in message
Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 30, 8:11*pm, "Cimjet" wrote:
Hi Amy-Marie
What you have is an array formula.
You enter an array formula by pressing ctrl+shift+Enter instead of
just Enter. *If you do it right; Excel will display an array formula surrounded
by curly braces in the Formula Bar. *You cannot type the curly braces yourself.
* If you make a mistake, select the cell, double click on it to go to Edit mode
or press F2 and edit as needed, then press ctrl+shift+Enter.
But I'm not sure that's what you want.
Your formula will count all the "1" if there is 1 "P".
If it's not what you want, explain it in detail."Amy-Marie" wrote in message

On Jan 30, 7:49 pm, GS wrote:

Amy-Marie pretended :

Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

How do you know the zero is not the result of there being none of your
COUNTIF criteria?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

There are loads of 1's, it is just not counting them. The elements of
the formula are for the right ranges as well.

Cimjet,
I tried ctrl,shift and enter and the curly braces appeared and it then
counted ALL of the 1's rather than just the 1's that have a "P" in the
cell next to it. All I want is the formula to count all the 1's that
have a P in the cell next to it only. Does that make sense?

Many thanks

Amy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Amy-Marie see my other post
Cimjet
"Amy-Marie" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:11 pm, "Cimjet" wrote:
Hi Amy-Marie
What you have is an array formula.
You enter an array formula by pressing ctrl+shift+Enter instead of
just Enter. If you do it right; Excel will display an array formula surrounded
by curly braces in the Formula Bar. You cannot type the curly braces yourself.
If you make a mistake, select the cell, double click on it to go to Edit mode
or press F2 and edit as needed, then press ctrl+shift+Enter.
But I'm not sure that's what you want.
Your formula will count all the "1" if there is 1 "P".
If it's not what you want, explain it in detail."Amy-Marie"
wrote in message

On Jan 30, 7:49 pm, GS wrote:

Amy-Marie pretended :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Amy-Marie
Use "Sumproduct" function
=SUMPRODUCT(('Employee Details'!V4:V93="P",)*('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93=1))

"Cimjet" wrote in message
Amy-Marie see my other post
Cimjet
"Amy-Marie" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:11 pm, "Cimjet" wrote:
Hi Amy-Marie
What you have is an array formula.
You enter an array formula by pressing ctrl+shift+Enter instead of
just Enter. If you do it right; Excel will display an array formula
surrounded
by curly braces in the Formula Bar. You cannot type the curly braces
yourself.
If you make a mistake, select the cell, double click on it to go to Edit mode
or press F2 and edit as needed, then press ctrl+shift+Enter.
But I'm not sure that's what you want.
Your formula will count all the "1" if there is 1 "P".
If it's not what you want, explain it in detail."Amy-Marie"
wrote in message

On Jan 30, 7:49 pm, GS wrote:

Amy-Marie pretended :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see an error in my formula,sorry. Try this one...

"Amy-Marie" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:11 pm, "Cimjet" wrote:
Hi Amy-Marie
What you have is an array formula.
You enter an array formula by pressing ctrl+shift+Enter instead of
just Enter. If you do it right; Excel will display an array formula surrounded
by curly braces in the Formula Bar. You cannot type the curly braces yourself.
If you make a mistake, select the cell, double click on it to go to Edit mode
or press F2 and edit as needed, then press ctrl+shift+Enter.
But I'm not sure that's what you want.
Your formula will count all the "1" if there is 1 "P".
If it's not what you want, explain it in detail."Amy-Marie"
wrote in message

On Jan 30, 7:49 pm, GS wrote:

Amy-Marie pretended :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 30, 8:21*pm, "Cimjet" wrote:
Hi again
If your trying to count the (1's) matching the letter P on the same row then
maybe this is what you want.
=SUMPRODUCT(('Employee Details'!V4:V93="P",)*('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93=1))
Cimjet"Amy-Marie" wrote in message

Can anyone see what is wrong with this function? =IF('Employee
Details'!V4:V93="P",COUNTIF('Employee Details'!Y4:Y93,1),0) - There
are loads of "P"'s in that range but it is still showing 0 as if it is
false. How this makes sense. Its driving me mad!!!

Yay it worked, thank you very much!!! :-)