-   -   can i get excel to add variables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/35667-can-i-get-excel-add-variables.html)

john mcmichael

can i get excel to add variables

I would like to get Excel to add together a list of variables mostly x , y
and z and tell me how many of each I have...can I do this and how?

Thanks

Anne Troy

I think we need a little more information, John. Variable is a VBA word, but
you posted in the worksheet functions, so I'm not sure that's what you mean.
Could you provide an example of exactly what you want to do?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"john mcmichael" wrote in message
I would like to get Excel to add together a list of variables mostly x , y
and z and tell me how many of each I have...can I do this and how?

Thanks

Ken Wright

Lookup the following functions:-

COUNTIF which will count the number of whatever variable you ask it to,
within whatever range you define.

SUMIF which will sum values associated with whatever variables you define

SUMPRODUCT which will do what SUMIF will but will allow multiple criteria to
be set.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"john mcmichael" wrote in message
I would like to get Excel to add together a list of variables mostly x , y
and z and tell me how many of each I have...can I do this and how?

Thanks

Anne Troy

Ah. My favorite Excel MVP. :)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
Lookup the following functions:-

COUNTIF which will count the number of whatever variable you ask it to,
within whatever range you define.

SUMIF which will sum values associated with whatever variables you define

SUMPRODUCT which will do what SUMIF will but will allow multiple criteria

be set.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------*------------------------------*------------

----
------------------------------*------------------------------*------------

----

"john mcmichael" wrote in

message
I would like to get Excel to add together a list of variables mostly x ,

and z and tell me how many of each I have...can I do this and how?

Thanks

Ken Wright

LOL - Thanks Anne :-)

Just glad to be back online again - Had a few machine problems last couple
of weeks, coupled with a new job and a rather hectic calendar in June.
Pretty much kept me out of here for a little while now, but hopefully all
back to normal real soon.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards
Ken.......................

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:5b8d3$42d948f0$97c5108d$15560@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Ah. My favorite Excel MVP. :)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
[...]

It's a good thing. I been carrying your weight! (Hee hee...RIGHT!!)

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
Lookup the following functions:-

COUNTIF which will count the number of whatever variable you ask it to,
within whatever range you define.

SUMIF which will sum values associated with whatever variables you

define

SUMPRODUCT which will do what SUMIF will but will allow multiple

criteria
be set.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

-
----

-
----

"john mcmichael" wrote in

message
I would like to get Excel to add together a list of variables mostly x

,