-   -   Desktop file sharing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/35233-desktop-file-sharing.html)

calgarydrafter

Desktop file sharing

I am a complete idiot .. ummm... novice... when using Excel. Anyhow, I
have created a virtual "white board" in Excel showing which jobs are
being worked on by whom, and the idea is that when a draftsman picks up
a job, he edits the sheet to show that he has the job so that when
clients are looking for it, they can access the same sheet and see who
has it. I created the fields using macros, including a button for the
draftsmen to click when the job is done.

The problem is that I want to put this file somewhere local so that
everyone in the office has access to it. If I put it on peoples'
desktops, is there a way for the file to automatically update when it
is changed by draftsmen as they complete jobs? If I bury it in the
network nobody will use it. I could also save it as an html file, but I
haven't figured out how to make that file editable except for the
little "done" button.

Any advice from you Excel wizards out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Liesl

Anne Troy

Hi, Liesl. Just put it on a network drive, and give everyone a SHORTCUT to
it on their desktop.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

oups.com...