-   -   Un - Concatenate? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/34700-un-concatenate.html)

JudithJubilee

Un - Concatenate?

Hello there,

I have a large list of police records and one of the fields contains their,
ID Code, Area and Rank seperated by spaces. I know there is a LEN and FIND
fuction but how do I conbine these??

Thankyou in advance

Judith

Kassie

Hi

Why don't you insert the necessary columns (2 in this case), then do
Data|Text to Columns, select delimited, select Space (and unselect Tab) to
split it into columns

"JudithJubilee" wrote:

Hello there,

I have a large list of police records and one of the fields contains their,
ID Code, Area and Rank seperated by spaces. I know there is a LEN and FIND
fuction but how do I conbine these??

Thankyou in advance

Judith

Alex Delamain

find will enable you to get the location of the blank spaces in the text
string, which can then be used with =left, =right, =mid and =len. The
resulting formulae can be a bit cumbersome but if the ID and area code
are always the same number of characters they can be simplified.

These should work for variable lengths:

Cell A1 is: 1531 dorset constable
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)) returns 1531
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1))
returns Dorset
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)) returns Constable

Hope this helps

--
Alex Delamain
Alex Delamain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11273