-   -   link from one workbook to another workbook using a dropdown? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/34678-link-one-workbook-another-workbook-using-dropdown.html)

sunflower

link from one workbook to another workbook using a dropdown?

Is it possible to link from one workbook to another workbook using a
dropdown?

I have source.xls
Defined Name: Numbers
refers to: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$30

when I try to set up my Data Validation for my dropdown in my
destination.xls
I get the follwoing error
"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria"

Am I trying to do the impossible?

Any help is much appreciated

Gary Rowe

Check out http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html by Debra Dahlgliesh.

"sunflower" wrote:

Is it possible to link from one workbook to another workbook using a
dropdown?

I have source.xls
Defined Name: Numbers
refers to: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$30

when I try to set up my Data Validation for my dropdown in my
destination.xls
I get the follwoing error
"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria"

Am I trying to do the impossible?

Any help is much appreciated

Biff

Hi!

This won't work the way you'd like.....but

You'd have to recreate the range name in the Destination.xls and even then
it will only work if Source.xls is open.

In Destination.xls

InsertNameDefine
Numbers
Refers to: ='[source.xls]sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30

Then Data Validation
Allow: list
Source: =Numbers

As long as Source.xls is open it will work. If Source.xls is not open it
will not work.

Biff