-   -   Auto sum does not add inserted figures in colum (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/34563-auto-sum-does-not-add-inserted-figures-colum.html)

Bedros

Auto sum does not add inserted figures in colum

Inserting figures in a colum after I have used auto sum does not total the
added figures. Please help me, what do I have to do. I'm using XP home
version and office professional edition 2003.

I have never had that problem using with previous excel with windows 98.

Thanks

Pritesh Shah

Hi Bedros,
Using the List function might solve your problem.
Rgds,
PDS.

"Bedros" wrote:

Inserting figures in a colum after I have used auto sum does not total the
added figures. Please help me, what do I have to do. I'm using XP home
version and office professional edition 2003.

I have never had that problem using with previous excel with windows 98.

Thanks

Dave Peterson

Do you mean you change values in existing cells?

If yes, look at your =subtotal() or =sum() formula to make sure that it includes
the correct range. (Excel may have guessed the wrong range.

If you mean you inserted a row between the total line and the last row of
details and then added another value in that row, you can change your formula to
something like:

With your data in A1:A21 and your formula in A21, you could use a formula like:

=sum(a3:offset(a21,-1,0))

It says to sum up the values in A3 to one row above cell A21.

When you insert a row, that formula will adjust to still point at the cell above
the formula's cell.

--

Dave Peterson

David McRitchie

I think Dave meant something like with your data in A3:A20 rather than A1:A21
then you can use
A21: =sum(a$3:offset(a21,-1,0))

That's offset by one row upward, and 0 columns to the right

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the correction. (Stupid fingers!!!)