Coach T

Default How can I compute a kids age based on his birthdate

I need to determine a players "league" age based on his/her birthdate.
League age is computed based on the last birthday occuring before 1 OCT of
the current year. i.e. a Kid born on 30 SEP 99 would be league age 6, while
a kid born on 1 OCT 99 would be league age 5.

Thanx,

Tom
David McRitchie

Hi Tom,

Do you mean the current calendar year from Jan 1 - Dec 31 use Sept 30

=year(Date(year(today(),10,0) - A2)
which will have a leap year problem

so they shoul work better
=DATEDIF(A2, date(year(totday()), 10, 0), "y")

read more about DATEDIF at Chip Pearson's page
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm
or in Excel 2000 you will find it in HELP but not before or after Excel 2000
has always been available is still available, requires Analysis Toolpak addin
which you stimple activate if the function is not availale.
---
HTH,

"Coach T" <Coach wrote in message ...
I need to determine a players "league" age based on his/her birthdate.
League age is computed based on the last birthday occuring before 1 OCT of
the current year. i.e. a Kid born on 30 SEP 99 would be league age 6, while
a kid born on 1 OCT 99 would be league age 5.

Thanx,

Tom

Paul B

Tom, Typo in David's formula should be, =DATEDIF(A2, date(year(today()),
10, 0), "y")

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
[...]

David McRitchie

Thanks Paul, I fixed my other typo before I posted but missed the TODAY()

"Paul B" wrote ...
Tom, Typo in David's formula should be,
=DATEDIF(A2, date(year(today()),10, 0), "y")

Philippe L. Balmanno

[...]

Try this for fun it will give you a output as follows: 43 years, 4 months,
26 days --- just replace the date or use a cell reference.
=DATEDIF(DATE(1962,2,8),NOW(),"y") & " years, " &
DATEDIF(DATE(1962,2,8),NOW(),"ym") & " months, " &
DATEDIF(DATE(1962,2,8),NOW(),"md") & " days"