Dimmer

Default How to randomely distribute non-numerical values across rows?

Probably very basic question
How to randomely distribute non-numerical values across rows (smth like the
randbetween() but not for numbers=? For example I have to randomely
distribute the 50 U.S. states names in 1 column/100 rows...
Thanks

N Harkawat

Say your states are listed in column E1:E50
on cell A1 type this
=INDEX($E$1:$E$50,ROUNDUP((RAND()*50),0))
and copy all the way down 100 rows

Keep pressing pressing function key F9 and it randomly generates a different
list for you

"Dimmer" wrote in message
Please help

"Dimmer" wrote:

Probably very basic question
How to randomely distribute non-numerical values across rows (smth like
the
randbetween() but not for numbers=? For example I have to randomely
distribute the 50 U.S. states names in 1 column/100 rows...
Thanks

Dimmer

Thank you very much thats really what I had in mind! just one more question,
hope you have the answer: if I want the one of the states to be more often
in the random list than others... can I assign probabilities to each state
(like 20% of cases are in NY, 20 in DC, 20 in Massachussetts and the rest 40%
are equally distributed across the other 47 states (probability .40/47..)..?

Does it make sense, If not I can explain it again

Thanks

"N Harkawat" wrote:

Say your states are listed in column E1:E50
on cell A1 type this
=INDEX($E$1:$E$50,ROUNDUP((RAND()*50),0))
and copy all the way down 100 rows

Keep pressing pressing function key F9 and it randomly generates a different
list for you

"Dimmer" wrote in message
Please help