-   -   how do i rename worksheet to equal cell name (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/32745-how-do-i-rename-worksheet-equal-cell-name.html)

MissSunshineKiss

how do i rename worksheet to equal cell name

Hi. I'm try to figure out a function that will automate renaming the
worksheet by reading a cell entry. For instance....if i have a timesheet
format, I would like the user to be able to enter their name in a cell (a2,
for instance) and then have a macro re-name the worksheet tab to reflect
their name.

I know this is possible by browsing through the VB properties. I am just
unsure of the correct code syntax.

Thanks loads!

JMB

Right click on your worksheet tab, select view code and paste the following
into the code window:

On Error GoTo ExitSub
If Not Application.Intersect(Me.Range("A2"), _
Target) Is Nothing Then _
Me.Name = Me.Range("A2").Value

ExitSub:

End Sub

If it is possible for cell A2 to move around (user inserts a row or column),
I would suggest using a named range (name cell A2 using the name box in upper
left corner). Then, in the above code change "A2" to "Name" - whatever your
name may be.

"MissSunshineKiss" wrote:

Hi. I'm try to figure out a function that will automate renaming the
worksheet by reading a cell entry. For instance....if i have a timesheet
format, I would like the user to be able to enter their name in a cell (a2,
for instance) and then have a macro re-name the worksheet tab to reflect
their name.

I know this is possible by browsing through the VB properties. I am just
unsure of the correct code syntax.

Thanks loads!

Piranha

MissSunshineKiss Wrote:
Hi. I'm try to figure out a function that will automate renaming the
worksheet by reading a cell entry. For instance....if i have a
timesheet
format, I would like the user to be able to enter their name in a cell
(a2,
for instance) and then have a macro re-name the worksheet tab to
reflect
their name.

I know this is possible by browsing through the VB properties. I am
just
unsure of the correct code syntax.

Thanks loads!

Miss,
Where cell A5 is the cell in which the name is entered.
Put code into the Sheet module.

If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A5")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo CleanUp
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Value < "" Then