Leslie

Default dynamic, double vlookup, match, index, dget?? different workbooks

Below is sample data. I need to be able to lookup a company (company A, for
example) for fiscal year 2004 and in another workbook I want July's figure to
populate the field in the other workbook. The formula also has to take into
account that on this worksheet you see here, I will be inserting and possibly
deleting rows at any time. Therefore, the formula needs to be such that if I
do that, the cell which is populated in the other workbook is still correct.
Thanks for any help.

Company FY Jly. Aug. Sep.
A FY 2005 $6,502.20 $9,899.43 $28,916.10
A FY 2004 $6,949.45 $4,065.00 $5,285.64
B FY 2005 $8,116.75 $2,195.40 $747.40
B FY 2004 $2,166.40 $3,816.34 $814.34
C FY 2005 $283.00 $195.00 $1,716.40
C FY 2004 $404.20 $2,658.33 $982.40

Bernie Deitrick

Leslie,

Assuming your data table starts in cell A1 of Book Name.xls, sheet "Sheet
Name", with labels across the first row. The compay name you want to look
up is in cell A1, the FY is in cell A2, and the month is in cell A3. Note
that the FY needs to have "FY 2004" not just 2004, to be an exact match of
your data. And your month in cell A3 need to be Jly. etc.

=SUMPRODUCT(('[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!A1:A1000=A1)*('[Book Name.xls]Sheet
name'!B1:B1000=A2),OFFSET('[Book Name.xls]Sheet
name'!A1:A1000,0,MATCH(A3,'[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!1:1,FALSE)-1))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Leslie" wrote in message
[...]

Leslie

Thank you for your reply. If the labels are in the first row, instead of A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1. I'm new using these functions so any
further explanation is appreciated. Another question, The reason I need this
formula is because I'm creating other workbooks which will each be various
subsets of this worksheet. How does the other worksheet know to pull for
company A, FY 2004 in July instead of company C, FY 2005 for July? I can't
tell from the formula. Thanks again.

"Leslie" wrote in message
[...]

Bernie Deitrick

If the labels are in the first row, instead of A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1.

No, not really. Those are the cells that contain the key values that you
want to extract from your database, and are on the same sheet as your
formula. They _could_ be in A1, B1, and C1, so you would change the formula

=SUMPRODUCT(('[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!A1:A1000=A1)*('[Book Name.xls]Sheet
name'!B1:B1000=B1),OFFSET('[Book Name.xls]Sheet
name'!A1:A1000,0,MATCH(C1,'[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!1:1,FALSE)-1))

This part ensures that only the correct company is pulled:

('[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!A1:A1000=A1)

This part ensure that only the correct FY is pulled

('[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!B1:B1000=B1)

and this part finds the correct month:

MATCH(C1,'[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!1:1,FALSE)

and this part is pulls in the actual data:

OFFSET('[Book Name.xls]Sheet name'!A1:A1000,0,MATCH(C1,'[Book Name.xls]Sheet
name'!1:1,FALSE)-1))

It's a complex formula, but you have a complex problem.

If you don't want to use a formula, you could use a pivot table, but then
you would need to use a database rather than a cross-tab table, which would
look like:

Company FY Month Amt.
A FY 2005 Jly. $6,502.20
A FY 2005 Aug. $9,899.43
A FY 2005 Sep. $28,916.10
etc....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Leslie" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. If the labels are in the first row, instead of
A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1. I'm new using these functions so any
further explanation is appreciated. Another question, The reason I need
this
formula is because I'm creating other workbooks which will each be various
subsets of this worksheet. How does the other worksheet know to pull for
company A, FY 2004 in July instead of company C, FY 2005 for July? I
can't
tell from the formula. Thanks again.

Leslie

Thanks again very much. Hopefully one last question... In the formula does
C1 reference the worksheet in the destination workbook or in the original
workbook? The reason I am asking is because I entered the formula in my new
worksheet and I am getting an error. It is looking at the Cell C1 in the new
worksheet not the original. Thanks again I so much appreciate it as I've
been racking my brain for days.

"Leslie" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. If the labels are in the first row, instead of
A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1. I'm new using these functions so any
further explanation is appreciated. Another question, The reason I need
this
formula is because I'm creating other workbooks which will each be various
subsets of this worksheet. How does the other worksheet know to pull for
company A, FY 2004 in July instead of company C, FY 2005 for July? I
can't
tell from the formula. Thanks again.

Bernie Deitrick

Leslie,

It references C1 on the same sheet as the formula. Make sure that C1 has
exactly the same value as one of your month name cells: use copy and paste
values to do that.

Also, you may have had weird line wraps introduced by your newsreader
program, so take out any extra line breaks.

If you can't get it to work, I will send you two workbooks that have a
working example. Reply privately, and take out the spaces and change the
dot to . in my email address.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Leslie" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. If the labels are in the first row, instead
of
A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1. I'm new using these functions so
any
further explanation is appreciated. Another question, The reason I
need
this
formula is because I'm creating other workbooks which will each be
various
subsets of this worksheet. How does the other worksheet know to pull
for
company A, FY 2004 in July instead of company C, FY 2005 for July? I
can't
tell from the formula. Thanks again.

Leslie

Dear Bernie:

I have the correct formula but for some reason it is pulling in a number
from the same row but a different month in column K. I have double and
triple checked my formula. Does it have something to do with the OFFSET or
MATCH portion of this formula? I cant figure it out. Does It have
something to do with the last portion (i.e. !$1:$1,False)-1)) Thank you in
advance.

=SUMPRODUCT(('[Book Name.xls]Sheet Name'!$A$1:$A$1000=$A$2)*('[Book
Name.xls]Sheet Name'!$B$1:$B$1000=$B$2),OFFSET('[Book Name.xls]Sheet

"Leslie" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. If the labels are in the first row, instead of
A1,
A2 and A3 don't you mean A1, B1, C1. I'm new using these functions so any
further explanation is appreciated. Another question, The reason I need
this
formula is because I'm creating other workbooks which will each be various
subsets of this worksheet. How does the other worksheet know to pull for
company A, FY 2004 in July instead of company C, FY 2005 for July? I
can't
tell from the formula. Thanks again.

Bernie Deitrick

Then it should pickup the value in column G, which is 6 columns from
A1:A1000 - unless you changed that part of the formula.

OFFSET('[Book Name.xls]Sheet Name'!$A$1:$A$1000 < If you changed this
column, you need to change the -1 part.

Try

MATCH($C$1,'[Book Name.xls]Sheet Name'!$1:$1,FALSE)-COLUMN(range that you
changed the first part to)))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP