-   -   How do I change the colour of the 'filter arrows' (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/32440-how-do-i-change-colour-filter-arrows.html)

sandro

How do I change the colour of the 'filter arrows'

I use filters in excel extensively, occasionally I do not realise I have a
filter on a worksheet as the dark blue filter arrows are not destinctive
enough to the black arrows when the filters are off. How do I change the
arrows to a brighter colour e.g red

Debra Dalgleish

There's no way to change the colour of the filter arrows.

If you can use programming, there's a sample file here in which the
heading cell is coloured if a filter is applied to that field:

Under Filters, look for 'Colour Filter Headings'

Or, without programming, you can colour all the headings if any column
in the table has been filtered. For example:

Select all the headings
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the formula box, type:
=COUNTA($A:$A)<SUBTOTAL(3,$A:$A)
Click the Format button
On the Patterns tab, select a colour
Click OK, click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

rontl

I downloaded the file, and it works great inside the sample. But when I take
a filtered file i already have, and create a macro module in it, and paste
your code into it, the coloring only works if I have your workbook open. It
works very nicely, but it only works when your workbook is open. I have
AutoFilter turned on, and I inserted "=TODAY()" into a cell to force
recalculation, but still no luck.

Help!
Thanks,
Ron

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

There's no way to change the colour of the filter arrows.

If you can use programming, there's a sample file here in which the
heading cell is coloured if a filter is applied to that field:

Under Filters, look for 'Colour Filter Headings'

Or, without programming, you can colour all the headings if any column
in the table has been filtered. For example:

Select all the headings
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is

sandro wrote:
I use filters in excel extensively, occasionally I do not realise I have a
filter on a worksheet as the dark blue filter arrows are not destinctive
enough to the black arrows when the filters are off. How do I change the
arrows to a brighter colour e.g red

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

The code should be pasted onto the worksheet module for the sheet that
contains the autofilter. Right-click on the sheet tab, choose View Code,
and paste the code where the cursor is flashing.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

There's no way to change the colour of the filter arrows.

If you can use programming, there's a sample file here in which the
heading cell is coloured if a filter is applied to that field:

Under Filters, look for 'Colour Filter Headings'

Or, without programming, you can colour all the headings if any column
in the table has been filtered. For example:

Select all the headings
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is

sandro wrote:

I use filters in excel extensively, occasionally I do not realise I have a
filter on a worksheet as the dark blue filter arrows are not destinctive
enough to the black arrows when the filters are off. How do I change the
arrows to a brighter colour e.g red

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

TommyB

How do I change the colour of the 'filter arrows'

Debra...this works great for me as long as my worksheet is unprotected. When
I protect my worksheet and then attempt to filter a column I get a VB
run-time error 1004, "unable to set the colorindex property of the Interior
class."
Can you help?
--
TommyB

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

There's no way to change the colour of the filter arrows.

If you can use programming, there's a sample file here in which the
heading cell is coloured if a filter is applied to that field:

Under Filters, look for 'Colour Filter Headings'

Or, without programming, you can colour all the headings if any column
in the table has been filtered. For example:

Select all the headings
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is

sandro wrote:

I use filters in excel extensively, occasionally I do not realise I have a
filter on a worksheet as the dark blue filter arrows are not destinctive
enough to the black arrows when the filters are off. How do I change the
arrows to a brighter colour e.g red

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Roger Govier[_3_]

How do I change the colour of the 'filter arrows'

Hi Tommy

You just need to amend Debra's code to take the protection off at the
beginning, and re-instate at the end
Change the password to match what you have used.

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Dim af As AutoFilter
Dim fFilter As Filter
Dim iFilterCount As Integer

If ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="secret"

Set af = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter
iFilterCount = 1
For Each fFilter In af.Filters
If fFilter.On Then
af.Range.Cells(1, iFilterCount) _
.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
Else
af.Range.Cells(1, iFilterCount) _
.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
iFilterCount = iFilterCount + 1
Next fFilter
Else
Rows(1).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
Scenarios:=True _
, AllowFiltering:=True, Password:="secret"

Regards
Roger Govier

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

There's no way to change the colour of the filter arrows.

If you can use programming, there's a sample file here in which the
heading cell is coloured if a filter is applied to that field:

Under Filters, look for 'Colour Filter Headings'

Or, without programming, you can colour all the headings if any column
in the table has been filtered. For example:

Select all the headings
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is