-   -   Extracting from a text string (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/32234-extracting-text-string.html)

AmyTaylor

Extracting from a text string

Hello everyone :)
Hope someone can help with this question....

I have a field containing a text string, for exampe: "1 : 1.3".
I want to be able to extract the 1.3 and show it in a separate column
using a function. Is this possible ?

The characters before the " : " can be any string length, but following
the ":" the number I want to extract is always 2 places behind the " :
".
Does this make sense ?
Hope it does, and thanks for your help !
Amy xx :)

--
AmyTaylor
AmyTaylor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20970

BenjieLop

AmyTaylor Wrote:
Hello everyone :)
Hope someone can help with this question....

I have a field containing a text string, for exampe: "1 : 1.3".
I want to be able to extract the 1.3 and show it in a separate column
using a function. Is this possible ?

The characters before the " : " can be any string length, but following
the ":" the number I want to extract is always 2 places behind the " :
".
Does this make sense ?
Hope it does, and thanks for your help !
Amy xx :)

Assuming your text is entered in Cell A1, your formula is

=MID(A1,FIND(\":\",A1)+1,255)

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=381708

AmyTaylor

Hey, thanks for your reply, many thanks - it works perfectly.

Amy xx

--
AmyTaylor
AmyTaylor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20970
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=381708

BenjieLop

Thank you for the feedback ... just glad that I can help.

Regards.