-   -   RIGHT of character (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/31956-right-character.html)

Ivor Williams

RIGHT of character

I've received a spreadsheet with entries in one column in this format
"12/345". This indicates 12 units of 345 total. I want to move the
information on the right side of the "/" to a new column so I can get totals
of each value, but the number of digits will vary. Is there still a way to
use the RIGHT function specifying all characters to the right of "/"?

Maybe a formula could be written to Sum the values on the left of the "/"
and Sum the values on the right of the "/" and display the result as
100/1000, but I wouldn't know how to do that, either.

Thanks for your thoughts
Ivor

Ron de Bruin

Try this Ivor

=--MID(A1, FIND("/", A1)+1, 255)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Ivor Williams" wrote in message news:Fwfue.72041$El.27133@pd7tw1no...
I've received a spreadsheet with entries in one column in this format "12/345". This indicates 12 units of 345 total. I want to
move the information on the right side of the "/" to a new column so I can get totals of each value, but the number of digits will
vary. Is there still a way to use the RIGHT function specifying all characters to the right of "/"?

Maybe a formula could be written to Sum the values on the left of the "/" and Sum the values on the right of the "/" and display
the result as 100/1000, but I wouldn't know how to do that, either.

Thanks for your thoughts
Ivor

Gord Dibben

Ivor

How about DataText to Columns with / as a delimiter and break into two
columns?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP