-   -   Need Excel Function that will return # of char in preceding cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/31439-need-excel-function-will-return-char-preceding-cell.html)

klafert

Need Excel Function that will return # of char in preceding cell

I used it before and cant remeber the function command that will allow me to
copy just the 1st 5 numbers in a cell to another cell. Thes cells are like C
& D.

Thanks for your help. Command just slipping my mind.

Bob Phillips

=LEFT(C1,5)

--

HTH

RP

"klafert" wrote in message
I used it before and cant remeber the function command that will allow me

copy just the 1st 5 numbers in a cell to another cell. Thes cells are

like C
& D.

Thanks for your help. Command just slipping my mind.

CLR

You've gotten several answers both here and in the Misc group with everyone
thinking by "first" five characters you meant the "leftmost"
characters..........if indeed you meant that, so much is fine, but if you
actually meant the "rightmost" five characters as being the "first", then
use this formula

=RIGHT(C1,5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3