Harlan Grove

Default Venting

Just thought I'd share with y'all a slice from my, er, spreadsheet
experience.

I'm one of several performing QA on a nice, large workbook. On my relatively
new, relatively fast PC recalc on each entry takes slightly more than a
second. Standalone that's bearable. Unfortunately, this workbook is going to
run on Terminal Server inside a VB.Net front-end with potentially several
dozen concurrent users.

How could a workbook using a mere 12MB on disk eat so many resources to
recalc? Perhaps it has something to do with more than 98,000 INDIRECT calls
and over 40,000 cells containing formulas calling volatile functions.

More fun is a few hundred worksheet-level defined names referring to =#REF!.
At least they don't eat time on recalc.

There are times spreadsheet development QA resembles cleaning out barns.

JMB

The system they give me at work uses 80%+ of its memory w/just the email app
and one Excel WB open.

Excel froze when I tried to clear 4000 lines of data in a spreadsheet app.
Had to rewrite the macro to clear only 200 lines at a time - that's all it
could do.

Sad.