-   -   how do i subtract a negative number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/30294-how-do-i-subtract-negative-number.html)

anndee

how do i subtract a negative number

i am creating a profit and loss statement in excel. the problem that i am
having is for example: food sold - cost of food =sum(c1-c6) but if my
food sold is zero and my cost of food is a negative number this equation
gives me a positive number. i want a general equation that will give me the
correct answer if the numbers in the equation are positive or negative

CLR

=IF(C6=0,C1-C6,C1+C6)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"anndee" wrote in message
i am creating a profit and loss statement in excel. the problem that i am
having is for example: food sold - cost of food =sum(c1-c6) but if my
food sold is zero and my cost of food is a negative number this equation
gives me a positive number. i want a general equation that will give me

the
correct answer if the numbers in the equation are positive or negative

JE McGimpsey

What *is* the correct answer if your revenue from sales is zero, and
your costs are negative (I'm assuming you got a refund)?

If you're entering costs as negative numbers, then you just have to add
revenue and cost:

= C1 + C6

(Note that the SUM() function in your example is not necessary).