-   -   Lookup Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/29286-lookup-question.html)

Brad P

Lookup Question

I have a spreadsheet that has date ranges and an associated group ID.
In another sheet I enter a date and I want to refrence the date ranges
to pull over the group ID. I thought I could use Lookup & reference,
index. The attempt failed. So I am looking for suggestions.
Thank for any help.
Brad P.

--
Brad P
Brad P's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24049

olasa

Are you looking for something like this (see encl. picture)?

Ola Sandström

|Filename: Clipboard01.jpg |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3457 |

olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376575

RagDyeR

Your question is not too full of factual information, as to actual data
configuration (date *ranges*???) and/or data list arrangement
(construction).

As a general example, say Sheet3 has a list if dates from B1 to B50, and
group ID's in A1 to A50.

On Sheet1, you enter a date in G10, and this formula in H10, which will
return the corresponding group ID from Sheet3:

If the matching date is *not* found on Sheet3, the #N/A error will be
returned to H10 instead:

=INDEX(Sheet3!A1:A28,MATCH(G10,Sheet3!B1:B28,0))

If you are *not* looking for exact matches to the date entered into G10, or
your list of dates is truly a *range* of dates, perhaps entered into 2
columns, post back with your exact datalist configuration for other
suggestions.
--

HTH,

RD

"Brad P" wrote in
message ...

I have a spreadsheet that has date ranges and an associated group ID.
In another sheet I enter a date and I want to refrence the date ranges
to pull over the group ID. I thought I could use Lookup & reference,
index. The attempt failed. So I am looking for suggestions.
Thank for any help.
Brad P.

--
Brad P