-   -   Recogniziting Dates in an IF function? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/28650-recogniziting-dates-if-function.html)

Lowkey

Recogniziting Dates in an IF function?

I want to set an IF function based on date.

The premise is that bonus pay is paid only if an employee works up to or
after a specific date. If the end date of the employee is before DATEX, then
do the calcuation, if not, the calculation is irrelevant. It looks like this:
=IF(B3DATE,(T5*U8)/12,"0")
Except the function doesn't use the date in the way I intend. Is there a
different function I should be using and how?

JMB

Try using DATEVALUE("DATE") to replace DATE in your function.
Excel stores dates as numbers, not text. For example, 5/31/05 is stored as
38,503 and, therefore, DATE must also be converted to a number.

"Lowkey" wrote:

I want to set an IF function based on date.

The premise is that bonus pay is paid only if an employee works up to or
after a specific date. If the end date of the employee is before DATEX, then
do the calcuation, if not, the calculation is irrelevant. It looks like this:
=IF(B3DATE,(T5*U8)/12,"0")
Except the function doesn't use the date in the way I intend. Is there a
different function I should be using and how?

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:00:59 -0700, Lowkey
wrote:

I want to set an IF function based on date.

The premise is that bonus pay is paid only if an employee works up to or
after a specific date. If the end date of the employee is before DATEX, then
do the calcuation, if not, the calculation is irrelevant. It looks like this:
=IF(B3DATE,(T5*U8)/12,"0")
Except the function doesn't use the date in the way I intend. Is there a
different function I should be using and how?

Either enter the date into some cell, and use the cell reference in your IF
statement; or define the date using the DATE worksheet function: e.g.
=DATE(2005,5,31) for today.

--ron