-   -   Can series tool change formulas over time when used to copy them (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/27863-can-series-tool-change-formulas-over-time-when-used-copy-them.html)

compu_trainer

Can series tool change formulas over time when used to copy them

During a full audit, random errors were found in the formula in large
spreadsheets. The formula was copied down the columns using the series
(sequencing) tool. Can this tool at some point in time assume a sequence and
change the formula in such a subtle way that it is not detected until a full
audit on the spreadsheet data is performed.

Biff

Hi!

See this:

http://tinyurl.com/azybg

Read the entire thread.

Biff

"compu_trainer" wrote in message
During a full audit, random errors were found in the formula in large
spreadsheets. The formula was copied down the columns using the series
(sequencing) tool. Can this tool at some point in time assume a sequence
and
change the formula in such a subtle way that it is not detected until a
full
audit on the spreadsheet data is performed.

compu_trainer

Thanks for the info Biff, I think that what you are confirming is when
copying formulas, by using the series tool instead of copy and paste
function, the formula can change by a decimal point randomly thereby giving
an incorrect answer in large spreadsheets. Which is what I suspect is
happening. Is that correct?

Compu_Trainer

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

See this:

http://tinyurl.com/azybg

Read the entire thread.

Biff

"compu_trainer" wrote in message
During a full audit, random errors were found in the formula in large
spreadsheets. The formula was copied down the columns using the series
(sequencing) tool. Can this tool at some point in time assume a sequence
and
change the formula in such a subtle way that it is not detected until a
full
audit on the spreadsheet data is performed.

Biff

Hi!

It is certainly possible and dependant upon many factors. The example I
referred to is proof of that. I did not expect that possibility!

Biff

"compu_trainer" wrote in message
Thanks for the info Biff, I think that what you are confirming is when
copying formulas, by using the series tool instead of copy and paste
function, the formula can change by a decimal point randomly thereby
giving
an incorrect answer in large spreadsheets. Which is what I suspect is
happening. Is that correct?

Compu_Trainer

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!