-   -   Hiding zeroes in Office 2002 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/27337-hiding-zeroes-office-2002-a.html)

Hiding zeroes in Office 2002

Hi
My mate uses Excel 2002. I've talked him through setting up a few formulae,
one of which is like this:
=IF(A2="",0,VLOOKUP(A2,F:H,2,FALSE))
When A2 is empty, this returns a zero - which, he says, cannot be hidden
with conditional formatting or Tools|Options|View / Zero Values. He has
another formula to multiply this value by a quantity, so he can't return a
"" - it needs to be a number.
I use Office 2000 - and don't have this problem!! Both of the above hide my
zeroes. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it!
Cheers.

--
Andy.

Duke Carey

Sounds as though he's returning "0" instead of 0. After making sure that the
formula starts out

=IF(A2="",0,

and not

=IF(A2="","0",

then try custom formatting where there is nothing after the second
semicolon. Something like:

#;(#);

"Andy B" wrote:

Hi
My mate uses Excel 2002. I've talked him through setting up a few formulae,
one of which is like this:
=IF(A2="",0,VLOOKUP(A2,F:H,2,FALSE))
When A2 is empty, this returns a zero - which, he says, cannot be hidden
with conditional formatting or Tools|Options|View / Zero Values. He has
another formula to multiply this value by a quantity, so he can't return a
"" - it needs to be a number.
I use Office 2000 - and don't have this problem!! Both of the above hide my
zeroes. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it!
Cheers.

--
Andy.

Vasant Nanavati

Are you sure he knows to UNcheck the Zero Values box?

--

Vasant

<Andy B wrote in message ...
Hi
My mate uses Excel 2002. I've talked him through setting up a few

formulae,
one of which is like this:
=IF(A2="",0,VLOOKUP(A2,F:H,2,FALSE))
When A2 is empty, this returns a zero - which, he says, cannot be hidden
with conditional formatting or Tools|Options|View / Zero Values. He has
another formula to multiply this value by a quantity, so he can't return a
"" - it needs to be a number.
I use Office 2000 - and don't have this problem!! Both of the above hide

my
zeroes. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it!
Cheers.

--
Andy.

Brilliant!! The initial formula was to return "" and when I told him to
replace the "" with 0 he didn't!! He just stuck the 0 in between the "s.
Thanks a lot.

--
Andy.