-   -   sum letters ex. d+d+d=3d (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/27253-sum-letters-ex-d-d-d%3D3d.html)

Steve

sum letters ex. d+d+d=3d

Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

KL

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"d")

KL

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

Vasant Nanavati

Not really. You can use a formula such as:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="d"))&"d"

--

Vasant

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"d","") & "d"

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

KL

Actually, if you need to count every single occurence of :d" in
multi-character strings in a range, you can use:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A1:A4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A4,"d","")))

if you want to count all the multi-character strings in a range where "d"
occurs at least once:

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*d*")

Regards,
KL

"KL" wrote in message
=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"d")

KL

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

Vasant Nanavati

Ah ... I missed that possible interpretation, JE. Perhaps it's a combination
of yours and mine! <g

Regards,

Vasant

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
One way:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"d","") & "d"

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Can I sum up specific letters in a range of cells?

for example: d+d+d=3d

Bob Phillips

Back to the other problem :-)