-   -   Working with Sums (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/27159-working-sums.html)

Burt

Working with Sums

A simplified example of a worksheet to try to explain my question
I have a two column work sheet Col A and Col B
Col A has no Formula and is for entry
Col B has a Formula to give a total of the last number in B plus an Entry in
Example:
Row 1 Make an entry of $ 10.00 Col A
Row 1 Since no formula is in that cell in col B repeat the entry of $ 10.00
Row 2 Make an entry of $ 10.00 Col A
Row 2 Since Col B has a formula (=sum b1:a2) Automatically $ 20.00 appears.
The problem is that all of the cells in Col B now show $ 20.00. How do I
have all of the following cells in Col B Blank until an entry is made in A
as per the Formula.
Thanks
--
Incoming & Outgoing mail scanned with NAV

CLR

Hi Burt...

Save your data and work with a backup sheet, then change your B2 formula to
this, and copy down

=IF(A2="","",B1+A2)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Burt" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

RagDyeR

To use a single formula, from B1 down, try this:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

This also works if there are empty cells anywhere in Column A.

--

HTH,

RD

. ..