-   -   user input function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/27115-user-input-function.html)

BLW

user input function

I need help making it where I can input a quantity if another cell has text
in it. I am using the IF function and currently have it set up like this:
IF(A1="","", ????). I need to know what to put in place of the question
marks so that I can input information into that cell when A1 has something
written in it. Thank you

Alan

If I understand correctly, your formula is OK.
If you want to use a number
IF(A1="","", 1234)
If you want text
IF(A1="","", "Your Text")
To use the value in another cell, say H1
IF(A1="","", H1)
Regards,
Alan.
"BLW" wrote in message
I need help making it where I can input a quantity if another cell has text
in it. I am using the IF function and currently have it set up like this:
IF(A1="","", ????). I need to know what to put in place of the question
marks so that I can input information into that cell when A1 has something
written in it. Thank you

BLW

It's not a text that I already know, it will be inputted by a user, so it
can't be set for a certain text.
Thank you

"BLW" wrote in message
I need help making it where I can input a quantity if another cell has text
in it. I am using the IF function and currently have it set up like this:
IF(A1="","", ????). I need to know what to put in place of the question
marks so that I can input information into that cell when A1 has something
written in it. Thank you

Alan

Oh I see. Although you don't know what the user will input, do you know the
whole range of potential values that the user might input? That's to say are
there a set number of values, say ten possible answers to a question? If so
you could put them in a two column table with the possible answers in column
D and the values you want to display in column E and use something like
IF(A1="","", VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E10,2,FALSE)
If that's as clear as mud please post back!
Regards,
Alan

"BLW" wrote in message
I need help making it where I can input a quantity if another cell has
text
in it. I am using the IF function and currently have it set up like
this:
IF(A1="","", ????). I need to know what to put in place of the
question
marks so that I can input information into that cell when A1 has
something
written in it. Thank you

Gord Dibben

Where and how will it be inputted by user?

If inputted in H1, use Alan's =IF(A1="","", H1)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"BLW" wrote in message
I need help making it where I can input a quantity if another cell has text
in it. I am using the IF function and currently have it set up like this:
IF(A1="","", ????). I need to know what to put in place of the question
marks so that I can input information into that cell when A1 has something
written in it. Thank you

BLW

Alan,
it's jsut a number...the user will select a product and I need them to be
able to input a quantity into a box but only if there is text in an adjacent
box.
Thank you.