-   -   MODE FORMULA ERROR (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/26956-mode-formula-error.html)

vmagal1

MODE FORMULA ERROR

When I try to use the mode function on a set of values, I get #N/A back as my
answer. Please help!

Pat Flynn

If the data set contains no duplicate data points, MODE returns the #N/A
error value.
Does your data contain duplicate data points? If not you want to look for
MEAN or MEDIAN.
Else post an example for us to look at.
Regards,
Pat

"vmagal1" wrote:

When I try to use the mode function on a set of values, I get #N/A back as my
answer. Please help!

vmagal1

Well I figured out the problem. I was using the mode function on cells that
were calculated using a formula. I guess it didn't like that.

"vmagal1" wrote:

When I try to use the mode function on a set of values, I get #N/A back as my
answer. Please help!

Harlan Grove

vmagal1 wrote...
Well I figured out the problem. I was using the mode function on

cells that
were calculated using a formula. I guess it didn't like that.

Not the problem. If I enter the formula

=INT(1+5*RAND())

in A1:A20, MODE(A1:A20) works just fine, returning the mode of the
formula-generated values in A1:A20.

Far more likely your problem is due to number formatting that makes
many of your formulas appear to produce the same value when there are
actually differences. If I enter the formula

=5*RAND()+0.5

in B1:B20 and replace the formulas in A1:A20 with

A1:
=ROUND(B1,0)

and format A1:B20 as numbers with zero decimal places, A1:A20 and
B1:B20 appear identical, but MODE(A1:A20) returns a number while
MODE(B1:B20) returns #N/A.