-   -   Counting categories (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/268801-counting-categories.html)

artytac

Counting categories

This is most likely a question which has been asked before. If so let me apologise beforehand. (If it has been asked before I cannot find it)

I have a membership database of about 950 members.

There is a column headed 'Status'. This column can have 6 different entries.

How can I produce the count of each category? (as a Printed report)

i.e. AS = 2, SM = 628, SS = 187, LS = 123, LM = 10

I am using excel 2010

Mazzaropi

Quote:

Originally Posted by artytac (Post 962927)
This is most likely a question which has been asked before. If so let me apologise beforehand. (If it has been asked before I cannot find it)

I have a membership database of about 950 members.

There is a column headed 'Status'. This column can have 6 different entries.

How can I produce the count of each category? (as a Printed report)

i.e. AS = 2, SM = 628, SS = 187, LS = 123, LM = 10

I am using excel 2010

Dear Artytac, Good Morning.

You can use a simple COUNTIF FUNCTION.

Suppose your "Status" data are at D column.

Your report:
_______F_________G____________
4______AS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F4)
5______SM________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F5)
6______SS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F6)
7______LS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F7)
8______LM________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F8)

Tell me if it worked for you.

Feel free to ask anything about it.

artytac

Dear Mazzaropi, You have pointed me in the right direction, Thank you for your prompt reply.

The report is working quite well:-)

Artytac

Dear Artytac, Good Morning.

You can use a simple COUNTIF FUNCTION.

Suppose your "Status" data are at D column.

Your report:
_______F_________G____________
4______AS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F4)
5______SM________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F5)
6______SS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F6)
7______LS________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F7)
8______LM________=COUNTIF(D2: D500,F8)

Tell me if it worked for you.

Feel free to ask anything about it.[/quote]

Mazzaropi

Dear Artytac,

it was a pleasure to help you.

Have a nice week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artytac (Post 962959)