-   -   summing an array by product category (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/26779-summing-array-product-category.html)

BLW

summing an array by product category

I need help writing a macro that will look down the first column and will add
up the prices of whatever rows that have the same category.

Example:
category product price
pets horse 100
pets dog 50
food banana .50
food hamburger 1.50

pets subtotal: 150
food subtotal: 2.00

Thank you very much.

BLW

Andy B

Hi
It is possible to do this without a macro using SUMPRODUCT or SUMIF. If you
don't specifically need a macro, post back and we'll respond for you!

Andy.

"BLW" wrote in message
I need help writing a macro that will look down the first column and will
add
up the prices of whatever rows that have the same category.

Example:
category product price
pets horse 100
pets dog 50
food banana .50
food hamburger 1.50

pets subtotal: 150
food subtotal: 2.00

Thank you very much.

BLW

Peo Sjoblom

oTry a pivot table, it will give you this, in the layout drag the category
header in the row field and the price to the data field

Peo Sjoblom

"BLW" wrote:

I need help writing a macro that will look down the first column and will add
up the prices of whatever rows that have the same category.

Example:
category product price
pets horse 100
pets dog 50
food banana .50
food hamburger 1.50

pets subtotal: 150
food subtotal: 2.00

Thank you very much.

BLW

BLW

Andy, I don't specifically need to use a macro so long as I can continually
select more products and the subtotals change with the new selection. In any
case, I would like to see how the two functions you described are use.
Thanks a lot

"BLW" wrote in message
I need help writing a macro that will look down the first column and will
add
up the prices of whatever rows that have the same category.

Example:
category product price
pets horse 100
pets dog 50