-   -   Manipulate an excel column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/26530-manipulate-excel-column.html)

Bill R

Manipulate an excel column

How do I add leading zeroes to data within an excel column. I'm trying to
convert data into total of 5 numerics by adding leading zeroes into the
string.

LanceB

format

use custom format
enter
00000

Lance

"Bill R" wrote:

How do I add leading zeroes to data within an excel column. I'm trying to
convert data into total of 5 numerics by adding leading zeroes into the
string.

Duke Carey

Two ways:

If you want only to DISPLAY 5 digit values, use a custom format: 00000

If you really need 5 digit values, AND WORKING ON A COPY OF YOUR DATA,
insert a column temporarily, adjacent to your data. So, if your data is in
col A, insert a new col B. In the new cells use the formula:

=text(A1,"00000")

Copy it to all the pertinent cells
Select all these formulas & copy them
Select the original cells and use EditPaste SpecialValues
Delete the temporary column