-   -   IF and SUM (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/26502-if-sum.html)

Natalie

IF and SUM

How do I say

If the sum of A1:E1 is greater than 1, enter a 1 in the column, but if not
then enter a 0?

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=IF(SUM(A1:E1)1,1,0)

or, more compactly (using the fact that XL coerces TRUE/FALSE to 1/0 in
math operations):

=--(SUM(A1:E1)1)

where the first - coerces TRUE/FALSE to -1/0, and the second back to 1/0.

In article ,
"Natalie" wrote:

How do I say

If the sum of A1:E1 is greater than 1, enter a 1 in the column, but if not
then enter a 0?

Natalie

Thanks

What if I wanted to count the number of SS or LS in these cells?

"Natalie" wrote:

How do I say

If the sum of A1:E1 is greater than 1, enter a 1 in the column, but if not
then enter a 0?

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=COUNTIF(A1:E1,"SS")

In article ,
"Natalie" wrote:

What if I wanted to count the number of SS or LS in these cells?

Natalie

Sorry, I still can't make it work -

I want to add all the SS and LS together, and if they are more than one,
have a 1 appear, and if the answer is 0 then a 0 appear?

Thanks for all your help

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

=COUNTIF(A1:E1,"SS")

In article ,
"Natalie" wrote:

What if I wanted to count the number of SS or LS in these cells?

JE McGimpsey

One way:

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"SS","LS"})) 0, 1, 0)

or more compactly:

=--(SUM(COUNTIF(A1:E1,{"SS","LS"})) 0)

In article ,
"Natalie" wrote:

Sorry, I still can't make it work -

I want to add all the SS and LS together, and if they are more than one,
have a 1 appear, and if the answer is 0 then a 0 appear?

Thanks for all your help

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

=COUNTIF(A1:E1,"SS")