-   -   formula request (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/26395-formula-request.html)

A. Toczko

formula request

Column A contains a date, entered as 21/04/05, which is formated to display
as Apr-05. I would like to have Column B display "April" or even "Apr", a
text result. I've tried the MONTH function, but that gives me a number.
Suggestions? Thank you.

Gary Brown

Format...
mmmm will show April
mmm will show Apr
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

"A. Toczko" wrote:

Column A contains a date, entered as 21/04/05, which is formated to display
as Apr-05. I would like to have Column B display "April" or even "Apr", a
text result. I've tried the MONTH function, but that gives me a number.
Suggestions? Thank you.

Mexage

=CHOOSE(MONTH(D11),"Jan","Feb","Mar"...

or you could try using Custom in the Number tab under the Format/Cells menu,
then type in:

mmmm

That will give you the name of the month.

Hope that helps and if it does, please vote for this post.

G.Morales

"A. Toczko" wrote:

Column A contains a date, entered as 21/04/05, which is formated to display
as Apr-05. I would like to have Column B display "April" or even "Apr", a
text result. I've tried the MONTH function, but that gives me a number.
Suggestions? Thank you.

Duke Carey

in column B type

=Text(A1,"Mmm")

"A. Toczko" wrote in message
.. .
Column A contains a date, entered as 21/04/05, which is formated to
display as Apr-05. I would like to have Column B display "April" or even
"Apr", a text result. I've tried the MONTH function, but that gives me a
number. Suggestions? Thank you.

A. Toczko

Thank you all for your suggestions!

"Duke Carey" <duke_No_Junk_carey_at_hotmail.com wrote in message
in column B type

=Text(A1,"Mmm")

.. .