-   -   Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/262690-average-formula-where-blank-cells-counted-zeros.html)

krwelling

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

I am trying to write an average formula that takes into account the blank
cells.

I had only cells A2, A4, A6 filled out, but when I do =average(A1:A6), it is
not treating the blanks as zeros so the answer is much higher than it should
be.

Should I do a logic formula within the cells?

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

  1. In a new column, say column B, enter the following formula in cell B1: =IF(ISBLANK(A1),0,A1)
  2. Drag the formula down to fill the rest of the cells in column B.
  3. Now, use the AVERAGE function on the range B1:B6 instead of A1:A6. This will treat the blank cells as zeros and give you the correct average.

Alternatively, you can use the AVERAGEIF function to achieve the same result without having to create a new column:
  1. Use the following formula: =AVERAGEIF(A1:A6,"<")
  2. This formula will only consider cells that are not blank in the range A1:A6 and treat the blank cells as zeros.

Dave Peterson

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

If you know the range, you could do the division yourself:

=sum(a1:a6)/6

But this would include other non-numeric cells in the count of cells (6), too.

--

Dave Peterson

nadine

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

=AVERAGE(IF($A$2:$A$6<0,$A$2:$A$6)) AND HIT Ctrl+Shift+Enter to enter the
array formula.

"krwelling" wrote:

I am trying to write an average formula that takes into account the blank
cells.

I had only cells A2, A4, A6 filled out, but when I do =average(A1:A6), it is
not treating the blanks as zeros so the answer is much higher than it should
be.

Should I do a logic formula within the cells?

T. Valko

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

=AVERAGE(IF($A$2:$A$6<0,$A$2:$A$6))

I think the OP wants to include empty cells and evaluate them as numeric 0.

Try one of these this array formulas** .

This one assumes the range contains numbers or empty cells only. No TEXT, no
formula blanks "".

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A6,A2:A6,A2:A6))

This one will account for (ignore) TEXT but will evaluate blank/empty cells
as numeric 0.

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(A2:A6),A2:A6,IF(A2:A6="",0)))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"krwelling" wrote:

I am trying to write an average formula that takes into account the blank
cells.

I had only cells A2, A4, A6 filled out, but when I do =average(A1:A6), it
is
not treating the blanks as zeros so the answer is much higher than it
should
be.

Should I do a logic formula within the cells?

T. Valko

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros

Or, it might be as simple as:

=SUM(A2:A6)/ROWS(A2:A6)

We'd need more details as to what the possible entries are in the range.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
=AVERAGE(IF($A$2:$A$6<0,$A$2:$A$6))

I think the OP wants to include empty cells and evaluate them as numeric
0.

Try one of these this array formulas** .

This one assumes the range contains numbers or empty cells only. No TEXT,
no formula blanks "".

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A6,A2:A6,A2:A6))

This one will account for (ignore) TEXT but will evaluate blank/empty
cells as numeric 0.

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(A2:A6),A2:A6,IF(A2:A6="",0)))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP