-   -   Complex functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/261787-complex-functions.html)

JP Ronse

Complex functions

Hi All,

Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a
condition, then you will/can have something like:

=if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function)

It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin.

Is there a way to 'name' a function?

=If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function)

With kind regards,

JP

Bernard Liengme[_2_]

Complex functions

All names in the sense you are using it are actually functions.
Thus if I select a cell (say B2) and type VAT in the Name box and press
Enter (or name that cell in any other way), I get something like =Sheet1!B2
when I use Names | Paste List. So you see VAT in the name of a function ---
its definition begins with an = sign

Here is an example of a name using other names. A2 is given the name a, and
b2 the name b
Then I define a function called myfun1 as being ==(ab)*5+(ba)*11
In any cell (not A2 or B2), I type =myfun1 and it will return either 5 or 11
I could have defined the function as =IF(ab,5,11) and got the same result

Have a go and come back to this thread if more help is needed
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP