-   -   Conditional Formatting based on match to external list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/261435-conditional-formatting-based-match-external-list.html)

Dawn Mann

Conditional Formatting based on match to external list

Hi,

I have a list of companies, need to look at a separate list of countries
and, if any of the companies are in countries found in that list, I want to
highlight the cell containing the company country value.

Basically, I need a formula that looks at the company country value, then
searches the entire list of countries to find a match.

I've got over 10,000 companies in one list and 100+ countries in the second
list.

Dawn

Steve Dunn

Conditional Formatting based on match to external list

untested, assumes your list of countries is called "countries" and the
company countries column is E.

=match($E1,countries,0)