-   -   formating (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/261262-formating.html)

JCRICKET

formating

How would I format several cells to change color is one particular cell
equals A?

Dave Peterson

formating

In xl2003 menus:
Select the range (say A2:B10)
And use Format|Conditional formatting
Formula is: =$a$1="a"
and give it a nice format

If you wanted to format columns B:G based on the value in column A -- so each
row is based on the value of column A of that row, you could:

Select your range (say (B2:G99) and with B2 the activecell, use:
Format|Conditional formatting
Formula is: =$a2="a"
and give it a nice format

Excel is smart enough to adjust the formula nicely for each row in your
selection.

The $ in front of the A means to keep it fixed. No $ in front of the row means
to adjust the row number.

--

Dave Peterson