-   -   Adding certain cells in one column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/260305-adding-certain-cells-one-column.html)

JT

Adding certain cells in one column

In my spreadsheet cells in the range E1 through E80 contain total dollar
calculations from each of the columns to their left. Corresponding cells in
column G contain either an X or a Y. I need a formula that scans column G
for all occurrances of Y, then ads together the total of the corresponding
cells in column E.

APpreciate any help!

JT

Mike H

Adding certain cells in one column

Try this

=SUMPRODUCT((G1:G80="y")*(E1:E80))
--
Mike

question.

"JT" wrote:

In my spreadsheet cells in the range E1 through E80 contain total dollar
calculations from each of the columns to their left. Corresponding cells in
column G contain either an X or a Y. I need a formula that scans column G
for all occurrances of Y, then ads together the total of the corresponding
cells in column E.

APpreciate any help!

JT

nadine

Adding certain cells in one column

Would a SUMIF do the same thing?

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this

=SUMPRODUCT((G1:G80="y")*(E1:E80))
--
Mike

question.

"JT" wrote:

In my spreadsheet cells in the range E1 through E80 contain total dollar
calculations from each of the columns to their left. Corresponding cells in
column G contain either an X or a Y. I need a formula that scans column G
for all occurrances of Y, then ads together the total of the corresponding
cells in column E.

APpreciate any help!

JT

Gord Dibben

Adding certain cells in one column

Yes

=SUMIF(G1:G80,"=y",E1:E80)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:11:02 -0700, Nadine
wrote:

Would a SUMIF do the same thing?

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this

=SUMPRODUCT((G1:G80="y")*(E1:E80))
--
Mike

question.

"JT" wrote:

In my spreadsheet cells in the range E1 through E80 contain total dollar
calculations from each of the columns to their left. Corresponding cells in
column G contain either an X or a Y. I need a formula that scans column G
for all occurrances of Y, then ads together the total of the corresponding
cells in column E.

APpreciate any help!

JT

Gord Dibben

Adding certain cells in one column

=SUMIF(G1:G80,"y",E1:E80) works as well.

Gord

wrote:

Would a SUMIF do the same thing?

"Mike H" wrote: