-   -   IF with function as false return (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/260009-if-function-false-return.html)

Lyn Sweetapple

IF with function as false return

I am creating a to do list in Excel 2003. I have 3 columns, A "Finished" with
x if complete; B "Due Date" with a date; C "Days to Go". I want the Days to
Go to read Done if there is an x in column A. I don't want to just delete the
completed tasks as I need a record of what I do.

I tried in C =IF(a4,"x", Done",=b4-TODAY())

The =B4-TODAY() works unless I want to factor in my status from A. Any
ideas? The Help says a formula can be the result for a FALSE return, but I
cannot find any examples. Of course I could just hide the completed tasks,
but that doesn't let me play with formulas.
--
Regards, Lyn
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." AC

John[_22_]

IF with function as false return

Hi Lyn
Try this =IF(A4="x","Done",B4-TODAY())
HTH
John
"Lyn Sweetapple" wrote in message
I am creating a to do list in Excel 2003. I have 3 columns, A "Finished" with
x if complete; B "Due Date" with a date; C "Days to Go". I want the Days to
Go to read Done if there is an x in column A. I don't want to just delete the
completed tasks as I need a record of what I do.

I tried in C =IF(a4,"x", Done",=b4-TODAY())

The =B4-TODAY() works unless I want to factor in my status from A. Any
ideas? The Help says a formula can be the result for a FALSE return, but I
cannot find any examples. Of course I could just hide the completed tasks,
but that doesn't let me play with formulas.
--
Regards, Lyn
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." AC
Clark

Glenn

Lyn Sweetapple wrote:
I am creating a to do list in Excel 2003. I have 3 columns, A "Finished" with
x if complete; B "Due Date" with a date; C "Days to Go". I want the Days to
Go to read Done if there is an x in column A. I don't want to just delete the
completed tasks as I need a record of what I do.

I tried in C =IF(a4,"x", Done",=b4-TODAY())

The =B4-TODAY() works unless I want to factor in my status from A. Any
ideas? The Help says a formula can be the result for a FALSE return, but I
cannot find any examples. Of course I could just hide the completed tasks,
but that doesn't let me play with formulas.

=IF(A4="X","DONE",B4-TODAY())

Pay attention to the syntax of the formula in the Help file.

IF( logical_test , value_if_true , value_if_false )

T. Valko

IF with function as false return

=IF(a4,"x", Done",=b4-TODAY())

Try it like this...

=IF(A4="x","Done",B4-TODAY())

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lyn Sweetapple" wrote in message
I am creating a to do list in Excel 2003. I have 3 columns, A "Finished"
with
x if complete; B "Due Date" with a date; C "Days to Go". I want the Days
Go to read Done if there is an x in column A. I don't want to just delete
the
completed tasks as I need a record of what I do.

I tried in C =IF(a4,"x", Done",=b4-TODAY())

The =B4-TODAY() works unless I want to factor in my status from A. Any
ideas? The Help says a formula can be the result for a FALSE return, but I
cannot find any examples. Of course I could just hide the completed tasks,
but that doesn't let me play with formulas.
--
Regards, Lyn
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." AC
Clark

Eduardo

IF with function as false return

Hi,