-   -   Which function do I need? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/25710-function-do-i-need.html)

Loni - RWT

Which function do I need?

I'm sure there is a function in excel to do what I want to do, I just don't
know what that is. I was hoping you could help me. I have a table set up
for daily fuel prices on sheet 1. Column A is the date, Columns B-I are
different locations. (Row 1 is my headings, data is compiled in rows 2-100).
On sheet two, I've entered a date in Col.A, and the heading "Location" in
Col.B where I type a location that matches the headings on Sheet 1, Col.B-I.
In Col.C, Sheet 2, I want a lookup function of some sort to return the value
from the cell that intersects the date/location from sheet 1. I've tried
several things, including embedding vlookup in hlookup but that just keeps
sending me around in circles. I know this can be done. Could you please
tell me how to do it?
Thanks!
Loni

Loni

Biff

Hi!

Here's one way:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A1:I100,MATCH(B2,Sheet1!A1:I1,0 ),0)

Biff

"Loni - RWT" <Loni - wrote in message
[...]

bj

Try
=vlookup(A1,sheet1!$A$1:I100,match(B1,sheet1!$A$1: $I$100))

"Loni - RWT" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for replying! I tried that, but it kept giving me an "#N/A" error.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Loni

"Loni - RWT" wrote:

[...]

I goofed up in the match section. try
=vlookup(A1,sheet1!$A$1:I100,match(B1,sheet1!$A$1: $A$100))