-   -   COUNTIF across worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/256947-countif-across-worksheets.html)

pdberger

COUNTIF across worksheets

Good morning --

I'm shooting for a COUNTIF formula that will count text occurances across
multiple worksheets. I can get the formula to work if the data is on the
same worksheet but as soon as I go to multiple ones, it fails and I get a
'#VALUE!' error.

Here's the formula:

=COUNTIF(First:Last!A1,"Y")

Thanks in advance.

Ron Rosenfeld

COUNTIF across worksheets

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 05:59:02 -0800, pdberger
wrote:

Good morning --

I'm shooting for a COUNTIF formula that will count text occurances across
multiple worksheets. I can get the formula to work if the data is on the
same worksheet but as soon as I go to multiple ones, it fails and I get a
'#VALUE!' error.

Here's the formula:

=COUNTIF(First:Last!A1,"Y")

Thanks in advance.

COUNTIF does not work with 3D references.

You may be able to use something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&A4:A7&"'!A1"),"Y" ))

where A1:A4 contains the names of your worksheets.
--ron

Lars-Åke Aspelin[_4_]

wrote:

Good morning --

I'm shooting for a COUNTIF formula that will count text occurances across
multiple worksheets. I can get the formula to work if the data is on the
same worksheet but as soon as I go to multiple ones, it fails and I get a
'#VALUE!' error.

Here's the formula:

=COUNTIF(First:Last!A1,"Y")

Thanks in advance.

Have a look he

https://www.microsoft.com/communitie...r=US&sloc=&p=1

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Mike H

COUNTIF across worksheets

Hi,

You can't create a 3D formula with Countif, it doesn't support it so here's
another apptoach

Create a list of your sheet names in a column ( I used B1:B4) like this

First
Sheet3
Sheet4
last

Then the formula

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&B1:B4&"'!A1"),"Y" ))
--
Mike

question.