-   -   Calculate the position of a formula and number of cells from it (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/256798-calculate-position-formula-number-cells.html)

Marzia

Calculate the position of a formula and number of cells from it

Hi I have a formula which needs to work out which cell it is located in, then
calculate the reference or another cell 1 column to the right and 4 rows
above to use as reference in the formula itself. Is this possible? I can
workout the second part using the CELL function with "row" but the first bit
keeps eluding me.

Can anybody help?

Jacob Skaria

Calculate the position of a formula and number of cells from it

Check out help on =OFFSET()
--
Jacob

"Marzia" wrote:

Hi I have a formula which needs to work out which cell it is located in, then
calculate the reference or another cell 1 column to the right and 4 rows
above to use as reference in the formula itself. Is this possible? I can
workout the second part using the CELL function with "row" but the first bit
keeps eluding me.

Can anybody help?

Gary''s Student

Calculate the position of a formula and number of cells from it

The reference is automatic. For your example, say we want to formula to add
7 to the reference cell and the formula is in A10:

=B6+7

The refers to one cell to the right and four rows up.

If the formula is copied, the relative reference will adjust.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001