-   -   Another question regarding matching names and adding spaces (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/256418-another-question-regarding-matching-names-adding-spaces.html)

ILunacy

Another question regarding matching names and adding spaces

I have a new question that goes along with this. Is there a way to expand on
the cell selection? Besides the names in Column B, I also have data in
Columns C, D, E, & F that I need to keep with the names in Column B. Thanks
Again!

"Xt" wrote:

On Feb 13, 10:28 am, ILunacy
wrote:
I hope someone can help me out with this. Say I have column A filled with
like 500 names, and column B filled with 300 of the same names. Is there a
way or a formula to match the names in column B to the corresponding names in
column A, move the name in B to be in the same row as the name in A, and to
insert blank cells into B where there are no names to match A?

Example:

A B
Abe Abe
Brad Brian
Brian Chris
Chris

changed to:

A B
Abe Abe
Brad
Brian Brian
Chris Chris

Thanks

Try this in C1 =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1) )
and copy down to give the column you want.
xt
.

Luke M

Another question regarding matching names and adding spaces

Formula has been modifed, copy down and across now as needed.

=IF(COUNTIF($B:$B,$A1)=0,"",VLOOKUP($A1,$F:$F,COLU MN(B1)))

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ILunacy" wrote:

I have a new question that goes along with this. Is there a way to expand on
the cell selection? Besides the names in Column B, I also have data in
Columns C, D, E, & F that I need to keep with the names in Column B. Thanks
Again!

"Xt" wrote:

On Feb 13, 10:28 am, ILunacy
wrote:
[...]

Max

Another question regarding matching names and adding spaces

A simple index/match will deliver all to you ..
Let's say your data in cols B to E,
where col B = names to be matched with the base list in col A
cols C to E are data associated with the names in col B
Put in say, G1:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A1,$B:$B,0)),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH($A 1,$B:$B,0)))
Copy G1 across to J1, fill down as far as required. Celebrate it, hit the
YES below
--
Max
Singapore