-   -   How Come Calcs are wrong when verifing totals to items method (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/25616-how-come-calcs-wrong-when-verifing-totals-items-method.html)

beejee

How Come Calcs are wrong when verifing totals to items method

I have a table where I total the number in the column of each specific row.
Then I verify by adding the totals together and they are differnet about 1 to
2 cents. How is that corrected? I changed to precise calculations.

JE McGimpsey

Take a look he

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

In article ,
beejee wrote:

I have a table where I total the number in the column of each specific row.
Then I verify by adding the totals together and they are differnet about 1 to
2 cents. How is that corrected? I changed to precise calculations.

Alok

What is shown in a cell can be different than what is actually contained in
the cell. For instance A1,A2 and A3 can all have 1/3 which is 0.333333333..
..If we have =A1+A2+A3 in A4 then the formua will give a 1. However, if we
display A1,A2 and A3 to two places of decimal then each of those cells will
display 0.33 and A4 will no longer seem OK. However, remember that Excel is
doing the correct calculation.

If you have a situation like the above but want excel to display 0.99 in A4
rather than 1 then select the option of Precision as Displayed from
Tools/Options/Calculations tab.