-   -   Conditional Formatting with Partial name search (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/255940-conditional-formatting-partial-name-search.html)

Diane

Conditional Formatting with Partial name search

Is there a way to use conditional formatting to search two lists of names,
and highlight the differences by only highlighing those with last name
differences. (My spreadsheet contains over 250 names)

Example:
Column A:
Jones, Dave
Smith, Bob
Brown, Sally
White, Mary

Column B:
Jones, Dave V.
Smith, Bob A.
White, Mary

I am looking for a conditional formula that would highlight Mary White in
column A as the only different one between the two lists.

Please help.

Teethless mama

Conditional Formatting with Partial name search

CF:

=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$4,LEFT($A2,FIND(",",$A2))&"*")=0

"Diane" wrote:

Is there a way to use conditional formatting to search two lists of names,
and highlight the differences by only highlighing those with last name
differences. (My spreadsheet contains over 250 names)

Example:
Column A:
Jones, Dave
Smith, Bob
Brown, Sally
White, Mary

Column B:
Jones, Dave V.
Smith, Bob A.
White, Mary

I am looking for a conditional formula that would highlight Mary White in
column A as the only different one between the two lists.

Please help.

Diane

Conditional Formatting with Partial name search

Thanks so much. It worked with one little change to cover the entire list.
=COUNTIF($B:$B,LEFT($A2,FIND(",",$A2))&"*")=0