-   -   weighted average - 1 column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/254038-weighted-average-1-column.html)

Julia

weighted average - 1 column

Hi , I've read all postings re weighted average in the forum but could not
find the answer.
I have 1 column of random data/values (below) and would like to calculate
weighted average. Please help me to compile a formula for this. Thank you!
1.3
1.4
1.6
1.7
1.7
1.8
1.6
1.6
1.7
1.6

Bernie Deitrick

weighted average - 1 column

Julia,

A 'weighted' average implies that some of your data is weighted differently from the rest - it is
more or less important (think "homework is worth 25% and tests are worth 75% of your final grade" as
a common example).

So, you need to set a relative wighting system, or have some other logic, so compute a weighted
average.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Julia" wrote in message
Hi , I've read all postings re weighted average in the forum but could not
find the answer.
I have 1 column of random data/values (below) and would like to calculate
weighted average. Please help me to compile a formula for this. Thank you!
1.3
1.4
1.6
1.7
1.7
1.8
1.6
1.6
1.7
1.6

David Biddulph[_2_]

weighted average - 1 column

Where are your weighting factors defined?

As far as I can see, you have one set of numbers from which you can find the
average; where does weighting come into the question?
If you just want to find the average, the function to use is AVERAGE. The
syntax, and what it does, are to be found in Excel help. If you want to
find the average of the values in column A, use =AVERAGE(A:A).
--
David Biddulph