-   -   Need Formula to "Adjust" to New Column Assignment (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/253946-need-formula-adjust-new-column-assignment.html)

bethe

Need Formula to "Adjust" to New Column Assignment

Within the same workbook, I have 3 worksheets: Control, Upload, and Audit.
Upload J2 = 500
Control J2 = 200

Currently, I have the following formula in the Audit worksheet:
=IF((upload!J2-control!J2=0)," ",(upload!J2-control!J2)
So, Audit J2 = 300.

I then need to insert a column in all three worksheets between I and J.
So the values that were formerly in Column J are now in Column K.
Upload K2 value = 500
Control K2 value = 200

But the formula in Audit K2 still references J, so it's not showing 300.

I need the formula that is now in Column K to be:
=IF((upload!K2-control!K2=0)," ",(upload!K2-control!K2)

Is there a way to make the formulas adjust automatically when a column is
inserted or deleted?

Please help! Thanks
Beth

T. Valko

Need Formula to "Adjust" to New Column Assignment

I am unable to duplicate your problem but your formula isn't correct.

=IF((upload!K2-control!K2=0)," ",(upload!K2-control!K2)

Correcting the formula to:

=IF(Upload!J2-Control!J2=0,"",Upload!J2-Control!J2)

Using that corrected formula, when I insert new columns on the sheets the
formula automatically changes to:

=IF(Upload!K2-Control!K2=0,"",Upload!K2-Control!K2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"bethe" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your reply, but isn't working in my situation.

It works when I insert a column in Control, then insert the same column into
Upload, then insert the same column into Audit.

However, I am inserting data into Upload and Control that already has
additional columns. Then I need to adjust the Audit sheet to match the
columns in Upload and Control, so then I need to insert.

This formula does not automatically adjust in the above situation.

"bethe" wrote in message
[...]

.

Bob Bridges[_2_]

Need Formula to "Adjust" to New Column Assignment

I'm with T. Valko, bethe; when I put values in Control!J2 and Upload!J2 and
=IF(Upload!K2-Control!K2=0," ",Upload!K2-Control!K2) in Audit!J2, then insert
a new column in all three worksheets, the formula changes correctly. I'm
using Excel 2003; what's your version?