Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rounding hh:mm to nearest 15, 30, 45 minutes

I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Total time worked...1 hr. 20 min

I think your total time should be 2:05. Rounded to the nearest quarter hour
would be 2:00.

Try this...

=ROUND(SUM(C2:C4)*96,0)/96

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"TeriS" wrote in message
I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I
can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need
rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:31:19 -0800, TeriS
wrote:

I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri

I don't understand how you got 1 hr 20 min from those three working times. But,
in general:

=ROUND(YourSumFormula/TIME(0,15,0),0)*TIME(0,15,0)

or, if you have Excel 2007+ or the Analysis Tool Pak installed:

=MROUND(YourSumFormula,TIME(0,15,0))

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri

If you want to tally only 15 minute increments, you can (should) only
use 15 minute increments.

The "9:35" entry is invalid in such a policy. If you FORCE all entries
to be at 15 minute increments only, you no longer need to round anything
off. You can do that by way of "data validation".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri

Check out the time sheet he

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101172771033

Look at Wally's other workbooks too.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 7:31:19 PM UTC-6, TeriS wrote:
I, too, am setting up a timesheet. It is a very simple timesheet but I can't
seem to figure out this (what should be) simple function. My question is:

Time In Time Out Total Minutes worked (These are usually 45 min
classes)
9:00 AM 9:45 AM 0:45
9:30 AM 10:15 AM 0:45
9:00 AM 9:35 AM 0:35
Total time worked 1 hr. 20 min. This is the time I need rounded
to the nearest 1/4 hour. I can do it in the same cell or a cell directly
below this one. Whichever is easiest (I am NOT Excel proficient).

TIA,
Teri

You can put this below/to the right (or in any empty cell really) of the value you want rounded to the nearest 15 minute mark and replace the "A1" cell reference in the formula with a reference to the cell you are wanting to round. =mround(A1, 1/96)