-   -   Text not all displaying in a cell, what is max that can be inserted? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/25295-text-not-all-displaying-cell-what-max-can-inserted.html)

Althea

Text not all displaying in a cell, what is max that can be inserted?

Dear list
A general question, I am typing larger amounts of info in a single cell and
it gets to a stage where it is not displayed, even when I choose "wrap
text". What is the maximum size of text for a cell?
Many thanks
Althea

Ragdyer

A general rule for your general question:

Insertion of some <Alt <Enter's (manual line breaks), will increase the
number of displayed characters.
--
HTH,

RD

"Althea" wrote in message
Dear list
A general question, I am typing larger amounts of info in a single cell

and
it gets to a stage where it is not displayed, even when I choose "wrap
text". What is the maximum size of text for a cell?
Many thanks
Althea

Gord Dibben

From Help on Specifications you will find that 32767 characters can be entered
in a cell.

However, only 1024 of these will be seen or can be printed.

To get around this 1024 limit follow RD's advice and sprinkle some AT +
ENTER's in every 1000 chars or so.

Postings have indicated that you can increase the 1024 up to several thousand.

Another work-around is to use a Text Box to store the text.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:36:28 +1200, "Althea" wrote:

Dear list
A general question, I am typing larger amounts of info in a single cell and
it gets to a stage where it is not displayed, even when I choose "wrap
text". What is the maximum size of text for a cell?
Many thanks
Althea

JE McGimpsey

If you look at "Specifications" in XL Help, you'll see that each cell
can contain 32767 characters, of which 1024 can be displayed.

Manually inserting a linefeed (Opt-Enter) every 1024 characters will
allow more to be displayed.

In article ,
"Althea" wrote:

Dear list
A general question, I am typing larger amounts of info in a single cell and
it gets to a stage where it is not displayed, even when I choose "wrap
text". What is the maximum size of text for a cell?
Many thanks
Althea

Althea

Thanks for all replies. I have looked and it comes to 1600 characters so no
wonder I'm having probs. I better chang ethe method for longer entries.
Thankyou
Althea